6.06.2008

permutations on the luann platter.

some background here.
1. growing up in texas, we went to luby's quite a bit. it was blake's favorite place. (he's apparently the star of this blog.) he would order the luann platter with fried chicken and double mashed potatoes. (it's a half order of meat and 2 vegetables.) the character, luanne platter, in king of the hill, is named for this dish. it's one of my favorite tv shows. ever.
2. right before thanksgiving, fox aired the following episode of king of the hill. it's so good: includes honest discussion about food and the food industrial complex, has just the right about of "bobby" in the episode (because usually those are the funniest), and makes fun of both members-only food co-ops and big box stores.
3. this episode is so good that i showed it to my students on the wednesday before thanksgiving break. they seem to think that only texans like king of the hill. as if we control the fox network.

EDIT, june 17: here's the link for the episode. it's called "raise the steaks." i think hulu took it off my website or something. you can still see it on their site, though.


3 comments:

Elanna said...

Yay for Luby's and the LuAnn Platter. I think this is how you know you were born and raised in Texas. I will leave it to Blake to tell me how Luby's night goes.

ashley said...

my luann platter always included the macaroni. and probably the mashed potatoes. and then eventually i became a vegetarian so i was no longer able to get it.

what about your luann platter?

Elanna said...

i always had roast beef with broccoli and most likely mashed potatoes or mac and cheese. I suggested to my sister that we make a Luby's trip over Thanksgiving. Austin has never been and there is no way Jessie's boyfriend Matt has ever seen one.

I guess now my Luby's menu will be side dishes and salads, but its all good since its Luby's

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...